Re: Localization framework

On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 03:40:16PM -0700, Martin Quinson wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 10:35:30PM +0200, Denis Barbier wrote:
[...]
> > Consider a simple example: package foo-1.0-1 contains a xx.po file,
> > which is not up-to-date.  Its translator commits a new version to the
> > central SVN repository, but the maintainer saw a typo in this xx.po and
> > fixed it before uploading foo-1.0-2.  Now there is a conflict between
> > these 2 versions, how will you solve it?
>
> Wouldn't msgmerge solve this conflict?  It would assign the lastest
> translation to the lastest text, and mark it as fuzzy. Then the translator
> can unfuzzy his translation, and reupload his work.
>
> New package version:
>  msgcat --use-first svn.po pkg.po > svn.po

Maintainer changes are lost here, this is not good communication between
translators and maintainers ;)

[...]
> > IMO your project is not realistic, we cannot take translated files away
> > from maintainers's hands, so we should instead help translators to solve
> > the conflict described above.
>
> I agree that this project is far more complicated than Nikolai seems to
> belive. Anyway, I think it's doable when trying first with simple and well
> understood material kind, such as po-debconf.

Absolutely.
And here is the secret plan: if this framework really eases translator's
work, maintainers will be overloaded with lots of translations and will
let translators manage their translations ;)

Denis