Re: Localization framework

On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 10:35:30PM +0200, Denis Barbier wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 06:23:20PM +0200, Nikolai Prokoschenko wrote:
> [...]
> > BACKLINE: The package generating scripts could be patched so that they
> > query the database (which could be later generated from SVN data) for
> > translations automatically and put them into place. Should be discussed
> > futher.
>
> Consider a simple example: package foo-1.0-1 contains a xx.po file,
> which is not up-to-date.  Its translator commits a new version to the
> central SVN repository, but the maintainer saw a typo in this xx.po and
> fixed it before uploading foo-1.0-2.  Now there is a conflict between
> these 2 versions, how will you solve it?

Wouldn't msgmerge solve this conflict?  It would assign the lastest
translation to the lastest text, and mark it as fuzzy. Then the translator
can unfuzzy his translation, and reupload his work.

New package version:
 msgcat --use-first svn.po pkg.po > svn.po
 msgmerge -U svn.po pkg.pot
 svn ci -m "New version of package" svn.po
 mail translator if status =! 100%

New translation:
 svn ci -m "New translation" svn.po

The point is that the translations in the svn are given the priority over
the one in the package, which may be wrong, but doing the other way is worse
in my mind.

> IMO your project is not realistic, we cannot take translated files away
> from maintainers's hands, so we should instead help translators to solve
> the conflict described above.

I agree that this project is far more complicated than Nikolai seems to
belive. Anyway, I think it's doable when trying first with simple and well
understood material kind, such as po-debconf.

Forget about package description (which needs to change the policy and
dpkg), about man pages (for which the gettextization is not perfect) and
about other sorts of documentation for now. But do not forget
debian-specific programs (dpkg, debconf, apt, ...) po files.

> You can have a look at
>   http://cvs.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/manpages/?cvsroot=ddp
> this directory is quite similar to your central SVN repository, and we
> resolve these conflicts manually, which is very painful.

Sure, but you don't have msgmerge on man pages. I think that's a really
great difference. Nikolai spoke about gettextizing all possible material. I
feel that this is the sine qua non condition for success.

Bye, Mt.

--
Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried
it.