Re: I18N (Multibyte Enablation) of debconf

Hi,

From: Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org>
Subject: Re: I18N (Multibyte Enablation) of debconf
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 21:29:15 -0400

> It seems reasonably well done. You might want to add support for ':all'
> to the exporters. libtext-charwidth-perl should depend on perlapi-5.8.0;
> dh_perl should help you with that.

I revised my packages (0.02-1).  They are available at usual place,
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/mojibake/debconf

PLEASE note that I changed module names from Text::Charwidth and
Text::Wrapi18n to Text::CharWidth and Text::WrapI18N, so that they
fit better to the way other Perl modules are named.  Thus debconf-1.3.0
doesn't work now.

I also uploaded these modules to CPAN.  I am now waiting for these
packages to be registered.  I also ITP-ed Debian packages.  When
my packages will be registered, I will fill in the "It was downloaded
from <fill in ftp site>" template in debian/copyright and upload
packages.

> I am introducing two new packages as part of debconf. debconf-i18n will
> include debconf's mo files, translated documentation, and will depend on
> your packages, and on liblocale-gettext-perl and libtext-iconv-perl.
> debconf-english will be empty, and depend on nothing. debconf itself
> will depend on debconf-i18n | debconf-english, which should make fully
> i18ned debconf be installed by default, while leaving the option open to
> not install all that stuff for people who don't need it and need to
> conserve disk space.

A nice idea.  It also saves disk space for translation files for
English-speaking people as a side effect.  I agree closing #196475.

> I've put debconf packages with these changes up at
> http://kitenet.net/~joey/tmp/debconf/ , please let me know how it works.

I tested debconf-i18n and it seems to work in both ja_JP.eucJP and
ja_JP.UTF-8 locales with dialog/readline/editor frontends (besides
known bugs of libreadline and dialog packages).

> I know of one bug -- try to reconfigure debconf with the editor frontend
> and debconf-i18n installed. Your text wrapper seems to leave out a
> newline that the other one puts in, and so the generated document looks
> like this:

I fixed it, thank you for your test.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>