Re: I18N (Multibyte Enablation) of debconf

Hi,

From: Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org>
Subject: Re: I18N (Multibyte Enablation) of debconf
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 17:01:48 -0400

> I think I prefer the idea of a separate package. I think that making it
> use the same interface as Text::Wrap, as you have, is a good idea. I
> also think you'd do well to make the separate package as general-purpose
> as you can, so it is not tied to debconf and could be used by other perl
> programs that need to word-wrap i18nized text. Put it on CPAN, etc.

I wrote separate packages of libtext-wrapi18n-perl and
libtext-charwidth-perl.  The reason why I made as many as two
additional packages is that libtext-wrapi18n-perl is architecture
independent while libtext-charwidth-perl is architecture dependent.

When I designed these packages, I kept in mind to balance simplicity
and generality.  Especially, introduction of architecture-dependent
part helped reducing code size drastically.  Also, I tried to keep
portability.

I made debconf to Depends: on these packages.  Thus, priority of
these new packages must be higher or equal to "important".

These packages, new patch for debconf, and new patched package of
debconf are available at:
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/mojibake/debconf
as usual.

Please test them and/or give comments.  Since this is my first
experience to write Perl module and XSUB packages, these packages
may have basic mistakes.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/