Re: Asking for a new pseudo package in the BTS: l10n-french

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 08:56:54AM +0100, Martin Quinson wrote:
> > the user can use apt pining to avoid some languages.
> >
> > The i10n packages have real package maintainers, we have a real
> > BTS-package. Also we can make new i10n packages, without any delay from
> > the bin package maintainer.
> >
> > Some translator can build a own aptable http server with his newest
> > translations and maybe some DDTP-like system can build daily new i10n
> > packages, if it has new translations...
>
> Yes, it would be a good solution also. The only problem is that it will
> multiply the number of packages by 10 or even more, and that dpkg's package
> database is already suffering from the number of packages. That's why this
> solution isn't possible right now neither.

This is already a problem. In 1-2 years we will have >30000 normal
packages. We must speedup the whole package management. apt-get is a
first step in this direction (you know dselect, without apt?)

> When this gets implemented, I guess we could *think* about adding a few
> thousend of packages. But even then i doubt that we can actually start to
> implement this as is.

We should not wait for dpkg.

> > one note:
> >    The bug tracking system from the DDTP work for debconf templates, but
> >    the package maintainers don't know all this translations and they
> >    don't use this translations.
>
> What kind of debconf templates are you translating? The ddtp page is not
> clear about that, and I seem to remember that you still translate debconf
> templates of the old generation, ie, the ones handled by debconf-utils.

The DDTP use the debconf templates direct from the sid binary packages
on a daily base.

And I will code support for debconf po templates. And I will make the
announcement and send the bug report after this support.

> Likewise, please don't offer support for man pages. Instead, please offer
> support for po files. That way, you will gain a support for man pages in a
> manageable way, thanks to po4a.

My plan it: add generall support for po files up/download inm ddts.

(like the codepage support in DDTP now. a 'GET 1 de.pofile' (or
something like this) send the unstranslated text as po file to the
translator/reviewer. And the server will read this po file format...)

With this we can add a pofile@ddtp.debian.org to the server and
translate all debian po files (from debian only packages like dpkg, apt,
...) and after some test some normal packages without upstream po file
translation support.

After this we can use po4a and add other parts like man pages etc.

Comments?

Gruss
Grisu
--
Michael Bramer  -  a Debian Linux Developer      http://www.debsupport.de
BSD - Wenn Ihr Linux-Root nach dem Sandmännchen schon ins Bett musste...