Re: I18N (Multibyte Enablation) of debconf

On Fri, Jun 20, 2003 at 02:15:58AM +0900, Tomohiro KUBOTA wrote:
> Hi,
>
> From: Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org>
> Subject: Re: I18N (Multibyte Enablation) of debconf
> Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 17:01:48 -0400
>
> > I think I prefer the idea of a separate package. I think that making it
> > use the same interface as Text::Wrap, as you have, is a good idea. I
> > also think you'd do well to make the separate package as general-purpose
> > as you can, so it is not tied to debconf and could be used by other perl
> > programs that need to word-wrap i18nized text. Put it on CPAN, etc.
>
> I wrote separate packages of libtext-wrapi18n-perl and
> libtext-charwidth-perl.  The reason why I made as many as two
> additional packages is that libtext-wrapi18n-perl is architecture
> independent while libtext-charwidth-perl is architecture dependent.

Did you write something similar in C?
It should be pretty useful, e.g. in cdebconf (a rewrite of debconf in
C for the debian-installer, see
  http://cvs.debian.org/debian-installer/tools/cdebconf/src/strutl.c
the strwrap() function) or tasksel (reflowtext() function in strutl.c),
and certainly also when displaying translated package descriptions.

Denis