Re: I18N (Multibyte Enablation) of debconf

Hi,

From: barbier@linuxfr.org (Denis Barbier)
Subject: Re: I18N (Multibyte Enablation) of debconf
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2003 23:51:23 +0200

> Did you write something similar in C?
> It should be pretty useful, e.g. in cdebconf (a rewrite of debconf in
> C for the debian-installer, see
>   http://cvs.debian.org/debian-installer/tools/cdebconf/src/strutl.c
> the strwrap() function) or tasksel (reflowtext() function in strutl.c),
> and certainly also when displaying translated package descriptions.

I think it is a good idea.  I would like to develop it as a library
so that it can be used not only from cdebconf/tasksel but also other
Debian and non-Debian softwares, though I don't know I can do that.
Anyway, I am thinking about starting a project on Sourceforge.
(Is Alioth better?)

In this case, design of interface and encoding system is a problem.
Which encoding should be used?  The encoding specified by the LC_CTYPE
locale (same as "multibyte character" in C terminology)?  Fixed to UTF-8?
Or, wchar_t?  From reading strwidth() in strutl.c which has mbtowc()
and wcwidth(), I think it is LC_CTYPE encoding.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/