Re: menu translation

Hi,

From: barbier@linuxfr.org (Denis Barbier)
Subject: Re: menu translation
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 11:29:57 +0200

> It looks like a very bad idea to me, why are you trying to be kind with
> poorly i18n-ed softwares?

For example, TWM will never support Arab/Hebrew/Indics in any future.
It is because TWM must be compilable within XFree86 distribution without
any further libraries such as Pango or GTK2.  Note that Xft2 is not
yet powerful enough to support these languages.  (Xft2 is intended to
be a basis for upper layer libraries such as Pango.)

There are also "lightweight" window managers which don't support
multibyte languages.  Though I think multibyte support is a *must*
for all softwares (like 8bit-cleanness), I am not confident that
I can persuade all developers of such softwares to support multibyte
languages.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/