Re: base-config localisation

Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña <jfs@computer.org> writes:

> On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 08:27:10AM +0900, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
> > Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña <jfs@computer.org> writes:
> >
> > > 	Please, if you do this have dboostrap install a system-wide
> > > configuration file with the language as the user inputs in installation.
> > > Somethin like /etc/system.language.
> >
> > Make that /etc/environment.
> (...)
>
> 	No. /etc/environment is not related to the system, is the default
> enviroment for *users*. I'm talking about system services here, not users.
> There is a small, but important different.

I seem to be misunderstanding something then, but I can't seem to
figure out what it is I'm missing.

> > It's been there all along for people to check.
>
> I do not agree with this. Localisation is slightly different that setting
> a system-wide language. We cannot have programs parse localisation on
> installation since they then need to have some knowledge of "locale" and
> be able to parse properly /etc/environment which might be cluttered with
> much other stuff or might not even have a locale.
>
> For example:
>
> a) a program uses the locale to determine what to do on installation but
> thinks that locale = XX_YY with XX=language codes. Wrong! I can have
> LC_ALL="spanish" (many other aliases available). Programs should have to
> understand both /etc/environment *and* /etc/locale.aliases = more
> processing.

With this I have no beef.

> b) a system administrator might not want to set up a system-wide
> environment since he has no users, or has people from too many different
> countires. However, he *does* want his mailing list to give out messages
> in a given language.

But I do with the above.  Every system has users.  Just because it
does not have any normal users (UIDs between FIRST_UID and LAST_UID)
does not mean it doesn't have any all.
BTW, the system-wide environment is set up by default.  It reads:

  LANG=C

# Unless things have changed with woody, that is.

> Take in account that server software (ftp servers, mailing lists, web
> servers) cannot usually take in account localisation because it is not
> provided by the client software (for web servers there is content
> negotiation however). Thus, it has to be customised on a per-system basis.

What is wrong with ftp servers and mailing lists (running as what?
root, ftp, ...) processing /etc/environment?  If they are properly
i18n-ized, they should already heed a LANG setting anyway.

> Debian should provide a way for *server* software to be easily customized.
> We need:
>
> - translators to translate the different server's templates (ftp,
> apache...) I have done so myself and sent occasionally bugs to the
> maintainers.
>
> - packages that, when appropiate, use the translated templates to setup
> the main server
>
> This could even be used by packages to install configuration files which
> had their comments *in the system's language*! Currently there is no way
> for Debian to provide translation/localisation of these files, for
> example, but we surely could provide a way to do so

- --
Olaf Meeuwissen                            Epson Kowa Corporation, CID
LPIC-2               -- I hack, therefore I am --                 BOFH