Re: base-config localisation

Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña <jfs@computer.org> writes:

> On Sun, Feb 03, 2002 at 10:31:19PM +0100, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> > Hello,
> (...)
> > My plans looks so:
> >
> >  - boot floppies install locales [1] and other needed packages [2]. This
> (...)
> >    dbootstrap (boot floppies installer) stores the language (choosen
> >    while base installation) in the temporary config and this can be read
> >    easily.
> >
> >    First problem: it is a short form, ie. "ja", not the full locale
> >    specification. I think we need a scheme to map this name to the
> >    locales string which is (at least) useable for most people.
>
> 	Please, if you do this have dboostrap install a system-wide
> configuration file with the language as the user inputs in installation.
> Somethin like /etc/system.language.

Make that /etc/environment.

  olaf@frodo:~$ dpkg -S /etc/environment
  dpkg: /etc/environment not found.
  olaf@frodo:~$ cat /etc/environment
  LANG=C
  olaf@frodo:~$

Quoting from /etc/pam.d/login

  # This module parses /etc/environment (the standard for setting
  # environ vars) and also allows you to use an extended config
  # file /etc/security/pam_env.conf.
  # (Replaces the `ENVIRON_FILE' setting from login.defs)
  auth       required   pam_env.so

> 	Why?
> 	Because
>
> a) there is not a generic mapping from languages to locales since a single
> language might have more than one locale. sample: Spanish= es_AR
> es_ES@euro...

Same here: ja_JP.SJIS, ja_JP.EUC-JP, ja_JP.UTF-8 (not counting aliases)

> b) A system-wide config file can be used by other programs to setup
> information that might be localised upon installation. Sample: Apache's
> default web page (in /var/www), mailing lists' messages, ftp server
> welcome message... All this could be localised if we provided something
> for package maintainers to check and act upon when installing templates.

It's been there all along for people to check.

> 	This system-wide localisation should be separate from user's
> localisation (through environment variables) although it can, as you say,
> help when defining a fully localised installation (not just dbootstrap)

Lusers can set their prefered LANG in .bashrc (or similar).
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                            Epson Kowa Corporation, CID
LPIC-2               -- I hack, therefore I am --                 BOFH