base-config localisation

Hello,

I would like to find some helpers for making base-config localised.
AFAICS Joey Hess would like to see it happen, but is not goind to do it
so. I cannout either, since I have not much time and not enough
experience in languages other than german/english/russian.

My plans looks so:

 - boot floppies install locales [1] and other needed packages [2]. This
   is possible by making use of debootstrap's new --include option
   (debootstrap NMU is in the 5-day-NMU branch now).

   Someone familiar with the languague-specific needs shell look at
   requirements for the languagues: en pt de pl fr es ja sv it hu
   and all dependent packages.

   dbootstrap (boot floppies installer) stores the language (choosen
   while base installation) in the temporary config and this can be read
   easily.

   First problem: it is a short form, ie. "ja", not the full locale
   specification. I think we need a scheme to map this name to the
   locales string which is (at least) useable for most people.

 - in the base-config scripts, the first thing should be a script, which
   works out the correct locale, writes it to etc/locale.gen and
   etc/environment, calls "locale-gen" and makes sure that
   /etc/environment is parsed and the LANG value is used afterwards.
   Alternatively, "dpkg-reconfigure locales" could be called. This first
   messages would be still english, but the config script allows to
   generate different locales and choose a systems default, etc.

 - somewhen before calling tasksel, a "dpkg-reconfigure debconf" must be
   executed. Debconf is needed to preinstall locales, but since it is
   preconfigured from debootstrap in Noninteractive mode, it has only
   some reasonable defaults, so the user should go trough debconf
   configuration step sooner or later.

Problem: my time is limited, very limited in the next weeks. If some
people would like to do this job, please go ahead.

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--
Flüssigseifenbenutzer!