Re: flex and gettext

Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>  Will> I'm not familiar with gettext but I would like the flex distribution
>  Will> to have i18n support and any pointers you can offer in this regard
>  Will> would be greatly appreciated.
>
> 	 I'll have to call in some other folks who did the heavy
>   lifting for the internationalization effort. As far as I can see,
>   we'll need to update the .po files, but most of the changes that
>   Debian made to flex should still apply cleanly.
>
> 	Folks, the .po support for flex 2.5.4a is in debians flex
>  source package; and the new beta is in
>          ftp://ftp.uncg.edu/people/wlestes/
>  How much work would it take to update the .po files?

The work it would take to update the .po files should not be an issue.

They should ideally be updated using the Translation Project.
(See http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/contrib/po for details).

Just submit the .pot file for every test release you make to the
Translation Project and you will receive updated translations matching
those .pot files in return. If you want to be friendly to translators,
just make sure the latest test release and the final official release
have the same .pot file (i.e. no new messages, and no changes in
existing messages) and everything else depends on translator's
willingness to see their translations up-do-date in the final release.