Re: base-config localisation

On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 10:27:12AM +0900, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:

> > 	No. /etc/environment is not related to the system, is the default
> > enviroment for *users*. I'm talking about system services here, not users.
> > There is a small, but important different.
>
> I seem to be misunderstanding something then, but I can't seem to
> figure out what it is I'm missing.

	See below.
(...)

> What is wrong with ftp servers and mailing lists (running as what?
> root, ftp, ...) processing /etc/environment?  If they are properly
> i18n-ized, they should already heed a LANG setting anyway.

	Server software is *not* localised. Messages such as welcome,
mails sent as reminder or "welcome to you new webserver" are static files.
I do not know of any server software that presents different messages
depending on the environment of the user it runs as.
	Localisation has simply not been something servers do (usually).
Debian packages install *static* files that could be translated. However:

- the package needs to include the translations
- the installation scripts needs to determine the system's language (*not*
environment, I might run with environment 'C' but language "french") and
put the appropiate file (static) wherever it resides (/etc,/var or
whatever)

	Regards

	Javi