Re: base-config localisation

On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 12:00:08PM +0900, Tomohiro KUBOTA wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At 05 Feb 2002 10:27:12 +0900,
> Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
>
> > > Take in account that server software (ftp servers, mailing lists, web
> > > servers) cannot usually take in account localisation because it is not
> > > provided by the client software (for web servers there is content
> > > negotiation however). Thus, it has to be customised on a per-system basis.
> >
> > What is wrong with ftp servers and mailing lists (running as what?
> > root, ftp, ...) processing /etc/environment?  If they are properly
> > i18n-ized, they should already heed a LANG setting anyway.
>
> I have no idea how servers can be internationalized in such a way.
> Servers' i18n means that these servers have to work well with clients'
> locale setting.  Thus, it is impossible for servers to have one
> fixed locale.

	I meant they can be internationalized by having fixed
languages and having the administrator choose the language. This is
"static" internationalisation, users will see the language the admin
choosed upon installation. However, this is useful in closed
environments (a service being given only to spanish users).

Some examples:

- mailing lists's help e-mails. See bug #43257
- ftp welcome messages

	Regards

	Javi