Re: Status pt_BR

On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 03:47:40AM -0300, Gustavo Noronha Silva wrote:
> > > nah...the system seems good... any foreseable official support?
> > > how would it be handled?
> > foreseable?
> I mean... are there plans to support this officially in Debian?
> how would that be done?

good question. Have you a proposal?

I have ask the debian ftpmaster, to make and chown the directory
/org/ftp-master.debian.org/project/trans/.

If I own this directory, I can put the aptable translated Package
files on this place. And this files are on all mirrors and the users
can test this (as beta tester).

The real support:
We can make Packages-de files and patch apt etc to use it or make
a normal aptable dir (like gluck).

I prefer the Packages-$LANG files. With this the root can set a option
in apt.conf and download one or more Packages files and add a '--lang'
Option to apt-get, apt-cache, ... to select the used translation.
(like 'apt-cache --lang de search Anleitung')

Ask the apt and/or dpkg people! I have ask, and don't get a answer.

If we can use the translation (and we can it now) I am happy.

The next steps on my roadmap:
 - test the multi language support (de, fr and pt_BR)
 - make a new index.html (howto to add new languages, statistics, ...)
 - move the db from many file to some DB_File's
 - move some bash scripts to perl
 - make a announce on debian-.*-announce
 - translate some description myself

I don't make patches to apt etc. I don't have the time to this. Sorry.
But first we must translate more descriptions...

btw: is there a difference between pt_BR and pt_PL ?

Gruss
Grisu
the steps:  "What's Linux?", "Should we use Linux?", "How do we use Linux?",
"Should we switch to a different flavor of Linux, or keep the one we're using now?"