Re: Problem with iso8859 on xterm/with man(1)

On Thu, May 17, 2001, Cyrille Artho <cartho@silmaril.org> wrote:

> ANSI_X3.4-1968
Good ol' ANSI when setlocale() has failed

> Also, why isn't latin1 or UTF-8 default after installation?
A.) Debian is a multilingual distribution. Why not latin2 or Japanese
encodings? We are too Western-European biased. Besides North Americans
resist to shift from ANSI. It's OK to leave the sysadmin decide.

B.) In the new glibc you have to create the locales you need:
    B.1) Uncomment the lines you need in /etc/locale.gen
    B.2) Execute (as root) /usr/sbin/locale-gen

> How do I fix this system-wide (for all users)?

First try the new locales on a console, for instance
    LANG=de_DE date
or your language till you see the messages in German.

Then add them to /etc/environment or /etc/profile
    export LANG=de_DE.ISO-8859-1
    export LC_ALL=de_DE

The C locales and the Xlib locales are not the same and sometimes they
seem to conflict. Any suggestion?

btw, in debian-l10n-spanish we are discussing a move to ISO-8859-15
(how if not are we going to input and display the Euro?). Is it being
considered by other national groups?

--
jr <jrfern@bigfoot.com>
GnuPG (www.gnupg.org) key available at your nearest wwwkeys server