Re: Problem with iso8859 on xterm

> > On Debian 2.2r3 (installed from scratch, up-to-date), I cannot see any
> > iso_8859_1 characters on my xterm. All the other characters (ASCII set)
> > appear fine, but the man iso_8859_1 page shows nothing.
>
> check your /etc/locale.gen . If you did not run locale-gen,
> iso8859-1 does not appear on your terminal.

Hi,
while I have an /etc/locale.alias, I do not have an /etc/locale.gen
file. What format does it have? Man locale.gen showed no match.
Also, all my locale settings are currently set to "POSIX". Should it be
"en_US" instead?
Finally, as a user, I would strongly appreciate if the standard
installation would at least enable iso8859-1, or maybe ask the user, or
possibly deduce from the time zone info what locale(s) the user might
need. The latter works quite well for Europe, if a city is chosen.
--
Regards,
Cyrille Artho - http://artho.com/ - Tel. +41 - [0]1 - 632 09 88