Re: step by step HOWTO switch debian installation into utf-8

David Starner <dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org>:

> > By the way, does the current version of Lynx work correctly in a UTF-8
> > locale, modulo graphical glitches? If it does, there's no need to
> > mention it, but you used to need to configure it a bit to make it work
> > in a UTF-8 xterm, which would be worth mentioning if it's still the
> > case.
>
> Yes and no. It will go into a UTF-8 display mode fine, but it doesn't
> autodetect UTF-8 as the current charset, nor can I find anyway to
> permenately set UTF-8 as the display charset.

At least with some versions of Lynx, in some configurations, you can
type 'o' to get the Options Menu, where you can choose "Display
character set" = "UNICODE (UTF-8)", and "Accept Changes" saves the
configuration in ~/.lynxrc, I think, so you get it each time.

It would be better if it used the locale, of course, and I was hoping
that perhaps some newer version of Lynx does that.

Edmund