Re: slang, boot-floppies, and wide character support

On Fri, Apr 06, 2001 at 11:29:13AM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> Taketoshi Sano <kgh12351@nifty.ne.jp> writes:
> > > I recall there was a reported problem also with config files written
> > > by dbootstrap in i18n mode being writting as utf-8 files and that
> > > messing up the desired configuration....

Wasn't that my wishlist bug? (In which I only remarked that
/etc/fstab looked strange in joe because of utf-8).

> > Well, so there may be softwares which can not handle the config files
> > written in utf-8 encoding.  If we use utf-8 as main encoding in Debian,
> > we need to work on them.
>
> I'd rather not force that, esp. for users who just need the ASCII
> set.  Can't we get it to write out the config files (such as
> /etc/hosts, /etc/network/interfaces, etc) in ASCII?

On one hand, it would be nice to have translated comments in
config files. On the other hand, there are few editors that
support it and some applications may be confused seeing utf-8
in their config file.

So I guess we should do it at some point, but not yet.

Marcin
--
Marcin Owsiany <porridge@pandora.info.bielsko.pl>
http://student.uci.agh.edu.pl/~porridge/