Re: slang, boot-floppies, and wide character support

Taketoshi Sano <kgh12351@nifty.ne.jp> writes:

> Akira Yoshiyama <yosshy@debian.or.jp> who made the patch for termwrap,
> has made the customized boot-floppies for potato used on NEC pc9800
> series. It uses the patched slang and newt libraries in bf-utf and it
> can be used with Japanese encodings (euc-jp) using some tweaking in
> dbootstrap (euc-jp strings requires special treatment in line break,
> so it uses an auxiliary utility to shrink strings correctly).

Ok, well, that "auxiliary utility" would need to be available.

> The package (in source and binary) is distributed from ftp site of
> Debian JP, and I think we can use the hack in it for woody i18n
> boot-floppies.

I don't know what this package contains.... but let me make myself
clear:

  1) I will *reject* a forked newt/slang being placed in the
     boot-floppies sources

  2) the wide version of newt/slang that we need *must* be uploaded to
     Debian main, and it must be done *now*

To restate, any forked or patched newt/slang or other requirements
*must* be placed in the distribution itself.

If no one has the time to package the wide libraries, and any other
auxiliary stuff needed for boot-floppies, I have no problem shipping
woody w/o i18, although I think that would be a shame.  Especially
after all the time put into it by folks here and by the translators.

> yosshy said that he wishes to see his patches merged
> into the Debian official boot-floppies, but he does not have enough
> time to do it by himself.

Well, I certainly don't have the time to do it for him.

> We can support i18n in root disk of boot-floppies currently,
> but since woody debconf and base-config supports i18n, it
> will be nice if we can support i18n on base system as well.
>
> Can bogl-bterm be used for base system i18n in woody ?
> Are we safe to include it in base tar ball ?
> (Well, this is debootstrap topic, but it is needed for i18n
> goal of Debian installation, and this experience will work
> for debian-installer as well).

I don't see any problem with this -- what are the risks?

> And if we use utf-8 for all messages, then we have to use
> encoding conversion at somewhere since most packages have
> messages not in utf-8 but in euc-jp for japanese.

I recall there was a reported problem also with config files written
by dbootstrap in i18n mode being writting as utf-8 files and that
messing up the desired configuration....

--
.....Adam Di Carlo....adam@onshore.com.....<URL:http://www.onshored.com/>