Re: i18n boot-floppies updated

Hi,

At Mon, 26 Mar 2001 13:07:27 +0200,
Marcin Owsiany <porridge@pandora.info.bielsko.pl> wrote:

> > Well, look, right now, on the LANG_CHOOSER enabled version of the
> > boot-floppies (dbootstrap), it isn't writing the user language
> > selection anywhere.
>
> Doesn't it write it to /etc/environment?

It will be harmful for non-ISO8859-1 language speakers,
unless vast settings of fonts, encodings, input methods,
special software to enable multibyte encodings, and so on
so on.  Please don't do this for non-ISO8859-1 languages.
(IMO, even giving a choice may be harmful for CJK.)

Well, I am a developer and maintainer of language-env.
It will be possible for it to check a special variable
(say, INSTALL_LANGUAGE) and ask users to set-up
/etc/skel/* according to it on installation time by
using debconf.  (If we really want this, we will have to
discuss more.)  Note that using /etc/skel/* will not
affect root user.  IMO, it may be dangerous and insecure
for root user to set LANG variable.  Imagine an important
message was displayed in Japanese or Russian on ISO-8859-1
terminal.  How carefully I configure our systems, I suffer
from "mojibake" (http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/mojibake/)
every several days.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>