Re: i18n boot-floppies updated

    Adam> I have updated the i18n boot-floppies Potato to the newest
    Adam> version -- even newer than the newest version in fact.
    Adam> Anyhow, please do test that.

Great!  Adam, this is a great time to ask this -- are we planning on
storing the chosen language somewhere in /etc?  I ask, because glibc
2.2, with its default LANG of C, now silently drops all 8-bit
characters, making international IRC, email, and other programs very
difficult.

If we default LANG to en_US, or whatever the user has chosen during
install, then the mutt maintainer (and the GTK+ maintainer :) will get
many less bug reports saying "You're missing the Danish characters!"
or "I can't read Spanish in GTK+ programs!"

Storing the chosen language in /etc somewhere will be the first step
to getting a universal LANG being set; the default of C is no longer
good enough, especially with glibc 2.2.  For what it's worth, Red Hat
has the default system language set from the very beginning, and
doesn't ever use C at all.

What do you think?

Ben

--
Brought to you by the letters G and T and the number 1.
"We are the music makers. And we are the dreamers of dreams."