Re: UTF-8 locales

Hi,

At Mon, 20 Nov 2000 22:04:16 +1100,
Roger So <rogerso@sis.dhs.org> wrote:

> You might want to add HKSCS to that list :p

Ok, I added it (and GCCS) to my documentation 'Introduction to I18N'.
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/intro-i18n/

> [ regarding PRC Govt's ban of non-GB18030 compliant software ]
> > How severe!  Can a government have such a right?
>
> Yup, and the deadline's only a bit more than a month away ...

I found glibc 2.2 supports GB18030.  It has
/usr/share/i18n/charmaps/GB18030.gz as an definition of GB18030.
(It is amazing that it covers not only ideograms but also various
characters in the world, including Latin, Greek, Cyrillic, Hebrew,
Arab, Thai, Armenian, and so on.)

However, it seems that XFree86 doesn't support GB18030 yet.
I am afraid that XFree86 might be banned in China...

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://surfchem0.riken.go.jp/~kubota/