Re: UTF-8 locales

From: Tomohiro KUBOTA <tkubota@riken.go.jp>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 21:19:37 +0900
> However, the current woody system (with locale 2.1.97-1) has only
> one UTF-8 locale of ko_KR.utf8.  UTF-8 locales are needed for this
> model to work well.  Why only it?

I guess that original glibc documents write a "currently supported
and somewhat tested locales", and Debian's glibc also follows it
(see glibc's source code localedata/SUPPORTED).
Only some UTF-8 locale are supported. Because UTF-8 is not well-tested
or some entries are missing for UTF-8 unsupported locales.
Please test and patch to localedata to be ready for UTF-8.

If you want to run applications under UTF-8 environment,
just make a UTF-8 locale using localedef (potato), or write an
appropriate entry into /etc/locale.gen (woody).
To make your favorite locale using localedef is easy.

In future, we may all use UTF-8 locale, but currently we merely
use UTF-8 locale. It's the big reason which UTF-8 are not needed now.

Regards,
-- GOTO Masanori