Re: state of i18n

Martin Quinson <mquinson@zeppelin-cb.de> writes:

> Ok, you're right.
>
> Do you agree if I say from boot-floppy that it is :
> - i18n (I can see it in french, it can display its messages to japanese, even
> if the console can't display it right. It's not boot-floppy's fault)
> - l10n to fr, (dunno anymore which others)
> - not l10n to japanese, korean, and others.
>
> That mean that I've to maintain a list of "packge <$pkg> is not l10n'able to
> <$lang>". And then the score could be easily modified to count these facts.
>
> Since this is done, I'll add some disclaimer to the pages to stress
> this. Is boot-floopy the only package with this problem ? Which
> languages have this problem ?

(I had no complain about the way of your statistics...)

You have misunderstood what i18n/l10n mean:

The topics of your status page are `message translation enabling' and
`message translations', which were misunderstood by you as `i18n' and
`l10n' respectively.  But translation is just a part of l10n, and
translation enabling is just a part of i18n (LC_MESSAGES catagory from
the six POSIX locale catagories).  i18n/l10n are broader terms than
your page's topic--message translation.

Then, again: please don't name your page as "i18n status".  Your web
page doesn't show all about how a program is internationalized or
localized.  I don't want people to misunderstand the meanings of
i18n/l10n by your stats page.

--
Changwoo Ryu