Re: state of i18n

Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@surfchem0.riken.go.jp> wrote:

> > Yes, I know. As I know that no one can i18n or l10n ifrench and such.
> > But how to do else ?
>
> Unfortunately, there are no unified way.
> All that console softwares can is to believe the console can display
> proper characters.  But, in case of boot-floppies, it is clear that
> the console cannot display CJK (Chinese, Japanese, and Korean which
> are multibyte) characters unless boot-floppies itself does something
> special (for example, invoke 'kon' included in 'kon2' package to
> display Japanese character).  But I don't know about internals of
> boot-floppies nor kon2.

Ok, you're right.

Do you agree if I say from boot-floppy that it is :
- i18n (I can see it in french, it can display its messages to japanese, even
if the console can't display it right. It's not boot-floppy's fault)
- l10n to fr, (dunno anymore which others)
- not l10n to japanese, korean, and others.

That mean that I've to maintain a list of "packge <$pkg> is not l10n'able to
<$lang>". And then the score could be easily modified to count these facts.

Since this is done, I'll add some disclaimer to the pages to stress this. Is boot-floopy the only package with this problem ? Which languages have this problem ?

Bye, Mt.