Re: state of i18n

Martin Quinson <mquinson@zeppelin-cb.de> writes:

> > > Ok, my last mail was quite missed up. Now, you can see the result of my script
> > > at :
> > >
> > > http://www.ens-lyon.fr/~mquinson/di18n/
> > >
> > > and found the script (in alpha release) at :
> > >
> > > http://www.ens-lyon.fr/~mquinson/di18n-0.0.tgz
> >
> > Good work.  But you may know that translation is never all of I18N.
>
> ?? Try to reload the page : after I send my mail, I discovered than my pages
> are all messed up (too :) It should be fixed.
> there is a part for i18n, and another for l10n...
>
> > IMVHO "state of i18n" is not an appropriate name.
>
> Oh, yes, please, help me to kill all the typos, and other bad english things...
> What would you say ?

Sorry, I am not good at expressing my ideas in English.  What I really
wanted to say is:

You wrote that was "the status of Debian i18n", and "i18n means
modification of programs so the programs be able to use translation
catalogs."  But this was wrong.  Translation is just an aspect of
i18n.

> > In some programs it will be completely useless to translate their
> > messages in Korean.  Such programs (ex. boot-floppies) can't display
> > Korean letters.
>
> Yes, I know. As I know that no one can i18n or l10n ifrench and
> such. But how to do else ?

For example, a2ps has been translated in Korean.  But it's useless,
since a2ps can't print Korean characters out.  (The translator once
said he had done it just for fun.  :)

Many GUI programs were programed as an ISO-8859-1 only program.  CJK
or Cyrillic GNU/Linux users always get troubled by these programs.  (I
can read English, but I cannot read Korean which is interpreted as an
European language by the program.  :)

The translators of such languages couldn't just translate such
programs.

--
Changwoo Ryu