Re: state of i18n

Hi,

From: Changwoo Ryu <cwryu@debian.org>

> Good work.  But you may know that translation is never all of I18N.
> IMVHO "state of i18n" is not an appropriate name.

I completely agree.  IMHO, the most important thing in "i18n"
is to enable displaying/inputing non-ASCII (or non-ISO-8859-1)
characters.  Translation of messages is next.

Of course I agree the list is a good work on the state of translation.

> In some programs it will be completely useless to translate their
> messages in Korean.  Such programs (ex. boot-floppies) can't display
> Korean letters.

This is what I stressed in my document ("Introduction to i18n" in DDP
page).  We prefer English messages to meaningless ISO-8859-1
characters which a software tries to display in native language.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.or.jp>