Re: state of i18n

Hi,

> > In some programs it will be completely useless to translate their
> > messages in Korean.  Such programs (ex. boot-floppies) can't display
> > Korean letters.
>
> Yes, I know. As I know that no one can i18n or l10n ifrench and such. But how to do else ?

Unfortunately, there are no unified way.
All that console softwares can is to believe the console can display
proper characters.  But, in case of boot-floppies, it is clear that
the console cannot display CJK (Chinese, Japanese, and Korean which
are multibyte) characters unless boot-floppies itself does something
special (for example, invoke 'kon' included in 'kon2' package to
display Japanese character).  But I don't know about internals of
boot-floppies nor kon2.

Since my native language is Japanese, it is an important problem.

I guess even ISO-8859-n (n>1) people (eastern/northern European and so on)
have the same problem.  People with non-left-to-right language (Hebrew
and so on, I heard...) or combined characters (Thai?) would have much
larger problem.

# I found 'han2' in Debian-KR ftp archive.  What is the difference
# between 'kon2' and 'han2'?  I heard that 'kon2' can display Korean
# characters if properly configured, though I have not tried.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.or.jp>