Re: Making translated doc accesible

>>>>> "Javier" == Javier Fdz-Sanguino Pen~a <jfs@ieeesb.etsit.upm.es> writes:

Javier> 	I would like this translations to be available both
Javier> through the official servers (and mirrors) and in Debian's
Javier> official CDs, since to the end user sometimes (usually the
Javier> first time) it's easier to use documents in their own language
Javier> (they must, of course, always turn to english since
Javier> translations take time to make).

Here here.  On the web site, translated documentation can be offered
contiguously with the original, so that web content negotiation makes
the world right.

Javier> 	Is there a way to:

Javier> 	a.- submit these translations to the DDP to be added
Javier> in the web pages along with the original document?

This is up to the maintainers of the individual document authors.
IMHO, especially when the documentation is managed with CVS, it makes
sense that translators are given CVS access, and the translated
documents are all maintained side-by-side.  This facilititates easy
sharing between documents of language-independant data.

I am the author of the developer's reference.  If any of you would
like to work with me to get translations of the Developers Reference
maintained in the developers-reference DDP CVS area, please get in
touch with me.  I need to first do a little restructuration of the
document in order to separate out all the language-independant
elements so these can be included verbatim in the translations as
well.

Javier> b.- add
Javier> these translations transparently to the /debian/doc dir of ftp
Javier> servers and to the /doc dir of official CDroms (maybe
Javier> slink-cd, or rather, debian-cd should be changed to allow
Javier> this)?

Well, this whole process is actually simply a consequence of what is
in the packages (I think, for the slink-cd) or how the packages are
built.

A good question arises, however.  Suppose we take the
developers-reference, and I add a japanese to the source package.  Do
I build separate packages for developers-reference-ja (current common
practice)?  I think this is the way to go but I'm not sure.