Re: Making translated doc accesible

At 09 May 1999 16:46:58 -0400,
Adam Di Carlo <adam@onshore.com> wrote:

> A good question arises, however.  Suppose we take the
> developers-reference, and I add a japanese to the source package.  Do
> I build separate packages for developers-reference-ja (current common
> practice)?  I think this is the way to go but I'm not sure.

I agree.  I think it is not good that all translated document is put in
one package, because it become big size and, languages except english,
which may be official, and user's native language are useless for most people.

However, I don't think that it is easy for document author to maintain
all translated documents.  Since most people can maintain only native
language in addition to english, I think it is better that document author
maintain original document package and each translators maintain each
translated document packages (of cource, some translations can be
maintained by original document author.)  In this case, we should have
some policy about versioning of document pacakge, so that translated
document should have <same version> or <original version>-<translation version>.

Anyway, if document is maintained by CVS and translator can commit
translated document, then document author build multiple package,
separated by each languages.

Regards,
Fumitoshi UKAI