Re: debiandoc-sgml needs one more i18n string

Olaf Meeuwissen <olaf@IMSL.shinshu-u.ac.jp> writes:

> In Japanese the equivalent of `translated by' would not precede the
> list of names, rather the list of names precedes the `translated by'
> part.
>
> FWIW, the Japanese would read (using my own name)
>
>    Olaf Meeuwissen Ìõ  or ¥á¥¦¥£¥Ã¥»¥ó ¥ª¥é¥Õ Ìõ
>
> Changwoo Ryu already mentioned a similar situation with things like
> `Chapter 5', where the number and string are reversed in Korean and
> Japanese (and quite probably in Chinese as well).  Actually, it is
> even worse than that.  The most natural Japanese translation would
> not only reverse word order, it also prefixes the number, something
> like `No. 2 Chapter' or in Japanese
>
>    Â裲¾Ï
>
> Hope this helps ;-)

Coincidently (well, we can always discuss later whether it was really
a coincident :) the latest issue of The Perl Journal has an article on
solving this problem by using the Locale::Maketext module.  So, in the
near future I'll switch from my straightforward hash tables to using
this module.  This should take care of all these different situations.

Thanks,
Ardo
--
Ardo van Rangelrooij