Re: Package translations...

On Fri, Jan 22, 1999 at 12:51:22AM +0900, Katsura S . Yoshio wrote:

|Good evening,
|
|From: Eduardo Marcel Macan <macan@debian.org>
|Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 14:36:30 -0200 (EDT)
|
|> 	Someone tell me please, where do the descriptions shown by dselect
|> come from? The Packages file? We will have to generate different localized
|> PAckages files too, right?
|
|We Debian JP Project have alrealy implemented the scheme that called
|chdesc.  Soon, the Deb package of this would be appeared.
|
|I think two ways are on the table.
|1.  All Packages Files ard in the same file
|2.  Language-depend description files are to be installed by user's |request.
|
|We take the second way for the present.

That means suppose there's a package called foo, if I want to have
Japanese descriptions for the file, I need to install another package,
say, foo-desc_ja?
That seems to be an overkill and very tedious for the users.

I can see that the benefit is easier to manage on the maintainer's side,
because he doesn't need to take care all the translations submissions.

But from the user point of view, the one-package-for-all scheme looks like
to be the best.

--
Rgds,         [ E-mail: hajime@asunaro.ml.org / ICQ UIN: C30E6 ]
Anthony.      [ http://icqtrack.hk.st -- Track your ICQ friend ]