Re: What is the Linux Console? LINUX, VT-100 or VT-220?

In article <[🔎] 35841E3B.7D607532@micoks.net>, Jeffrey <jeffj@micoks.net> wrote:

> Hello. I'm trying to get a grasp on this whole linux
> keyboard issue. I've found seemingly conflicting information
> about the Linux console. Although there is probably little
> difference between the three it is refered to in different
> documents as emulating the vt220, the vt100 and TERM=Linux.

The Linux console is an attempt to emulate the DEC VT220, as best as
possible within the limitations set by the PC display hardware and the
different keyboard. It actually does a quite good job, but some
differences remain and the Linux console also has some extensions (such
as color support), that's why there's a special "linux" terminfo entry.

The DEC VT2xx series of terminals in turn were backwards compatible
successors to the VT1xx series, so one can say that the Linux console
also emulates a VT100.

>       Also I'm having problems with the text editor ae
> when using it in an xterm. How does xterm deal with function
> keys?

Well, it gets a keyboard event with an <Fx> keysym from the X server,
which it translates into an ESC sequence. This is configuarable, and
there may be differences depending on which xterm you have, there are a
couple of modifications floating around. The "xterm" terminfo entry
needs to contain the sequences that go with those generated by your
xterm.

Generally, F1..F5 are critical, because on a true VT220 these keys have
local functions only and don't send out anything at all.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de
  See another pointless homepage at <URL:http://home.pages.de/~naddy/>.