What is the Linux Console? LINUX, VT-100 or VT-220?

Hello. I'm trying to get a grasp on this whole linux
keyboard issue. I've found seemingly conflicting information
about the Linux console. Although there is probably little
difference between the three it is refered to in different
documents as emulating the vt220, the vt100 and TERM=Linux.
      Also I'm having problems with the text editor ae
when using it in an xterm. How does xterm deal with function
keys?
                                              -Jeff