Re: Languages for Description

From: Milan Zamazal <pdm@informatics.muni.cz>
Subject: Re: Languages for Description
Date: 05 May 1998 13:53:09 +0200

>     YD: While we're talking about language issues and people not
>     YD: speaking english: if we want Debian to be one day a valid choice
>     YD: for a lambda user in a random country, we *will* have to work
>     YD: out some mechanism that allows translated Descriptions: fields.
>
> I've heard RedHat uses .po file for this purpose.  Perhaps dpkg, APT,
> and dselect could use gettext for package descriptions too?

Would be possible.

Debian JP has translated descriptions for bo packages and making use
of them for Japanese version of web pages. There's also an
experimental implementation for localized descriptions called chdesc
(see http://www.bekkoame.or.jp/~kamop/).

BTW, are there any translations for other languages or anyone is
implementing mechanism for localized descriptions for dselect?

----
Keita Maehara <maehara@debian.or.jp>
Debian JP Project (http://www.debian.or.jp/)
PGP Key fingerprint = 82 37 2F 1E 06 ED C4 37  1E E2 C2 96 22 B8 B3 F1