the telnet/rlogin problem

Hi guys,

While the proposed set of solutions generally works fine (letting xterm
use DEL and \e[3~, and leaving BS for apps), the telnet problem (remote
machines are likely to have kbs=^H, kdch1=\177 terminfo entries) is a
serious one. The expect script works fine locally, and could maybe be
made a bit more elaborate with a list of "broken hosts", letting a
script choose whether to use the expect-keyswitch or not. However, how
can we gracefully handle telnet requests? People telnetting from a
machine with a "broken" (to our definition...) terminfo will find that
[<---] deletes under the cursor and [Delete] will not work. Any
suggestions?
	It all comes down to having fixed something in a broken
environment I guess. The only thing I can think of is letting people
choose a terminal type when they log in, in this case I guess there
should be an alternative entry, xterm.old or something (or something
they're a bit more likely to choose...). Any ideas? I think it would be
a shame if we got stuck on this.

Regards, Anne