Re: Fonts...

Michael Sobolev writes:
 > OK.  Here is what I need.  Usually I set LANG=ru_RU.KOI8-R, this means that all
 > programs that are using appropriate functions, have their's output localized.
 > For example, when I compile a kernel, it updates the version file (or something
 > like that) that saying that it was compile at.  This means that when I boot my
 > computer (this is my home computer) it prints some pseudo-graphics characters
 > that are supposed to be the date when the kernel was compiled.  I'd like to see
 > that in Russian, which is more meaningful.

I see.

 > My investigation shows that the only way to use appropriate font is to try to
 > load it with boot loader.  But, to my knowledge, the only loader that supports
 > that is syslinux (I am not that sure, though).

Well, as long as syslinux is the only one, I'd say it may be better to
temporarily disable i18n while compiling your kernel.  It may even be
a good idea to have that in the standard kernel makefile.

 > > PS: Please send such request as a bug-report against the relevant
 > > package next time.  Had I not been subscribed to this list, I would
 > > never have read about it :(
 >
 > So I do not know what package I should file the bug-report against.  There is
 > no way to run any program before kernel is loaded, or init starts.  So this
 > should be a boot loader, but this seems to be a new feature rather than a bug.

I guess this could be filed to all boot-loaders as a wishlist item.
Alternatively, a probably better solution would be to add the needed
font(s) into the kernel.  I'm not sure, but I suppose there has been
work on this in 2.1.x, according to the kernel config items.  Does not
seem much flexible to the user, though.

 > LILO (which I am using) does not seem to be developped actively...

Don't really know.  Well, the inter-release interval seems quite large
at least.

--
Yann Dirson                         | Stop making M$-Bill richer & richer,
           <ydirson@multimania.com> |     support Debian GNU/Linux: