Re: Fonts...

On Sun, Dec 06, 1998 at 02:39:04PM +0000, edmundo@rano.demon.co.uk wrote:
[ re framebuffer console and VGA graphics mode in 2.1.xxx ]
Hmm...  I have not tried 2.1.xxx, maybe it is a good idea to try them out.  But
if it is a really *graphics* mode, I doubt this is that useful at all.  VGA
adapters allows loading user fonts into memory, so this may be a better (wrt
performance) solution.  Anyway, I should check the kernel before telling
anything.

As for your questions, here is how I see it.  For a long long time Linux
[rather] was a system for hackish type programmers: they just needed a system
that permits to compile the stuff they wanted.  Now it becomes more and more
end-user oriented OS, and I believe native language messages become the first
thing to have.  My desire to have the fonts loaded just before kernel is to
help my wife to use computer without learning English.

--
Mike