Re: How to write in Japanese under GTK ?

On Fri, 13 Nov 1998, Ionutz Borcoman wrote:

> Chu-yeon Park wrote:
> > If you change your locales, you can see various charsets.
> > Test it. (eg., export LANG=C, export LANG=ja and so on.)
> I've put LANG=ja_JP and now I receive
>
> locale not supported by C library
>
> for a program that Takashi Matsuda <matsu@arch.comp.kyutech.ac.jp> gave
> me to test my locale. SImilar problem happened with the last X server
> and them with Netscape (which didn't start anymore) so I've downgraded
> my XWindow. Is this the problem ?
> What packages do I need to make it work ?

You need to install :

1) libwcsmbs
2) wcsmbs-locale-ja(if you want Korean locale, wcsmbs-locale-ko)
3) xlib6g(>=3.3.2.3a-7)

libwcsmbs and wcsmbs-locale-ja(or ko) support wide-charsets and
multibyte-charsets. As you know, since libc6 doesn't support multibyte
character encodings, glibc2(aka libc6), patched by Akira YOSHIYAMA
<yoshhy@debian.or.jp> in order to support CJK character encodings,
released.

xlib6g_3.3.2.3a-7 is the latest version of libraries of X window system,
which includes X locale data. When you use multibyte characters, it is
the important element.
xlib6g(<3.3.2.3a-6) has many bugs on X locale.

In addition, your locale setting is :

export LANG=ja_JP.EUC

You can modify /usr/share/locale/locale.alias as you want.

> Concluding: how do I set my system to have all the menus and messages in
> English, but have also an easy way to code mixed Japanese/Eglish
> programs ? Can I use the latest X or is it still broken ? From unstable
> or from frozen ?

Unfortunately, there is no way to ease development of both
Japanese/English characters. This routine is rather complex. (actually,
it depends on your interests in i18n. That is, it's up to you.)

> For the moment, the rest of the system works good enough: XEmacs, SKK
> and j-latex for writting, kterm and edict for the japanese dict. On the
> other hand, I was not able make Emacs show the Japanese characters (it
> displayed only blanck boxes). Do I need kinput 2 ? What for ?

You can use see Japanese characters on Emacs. :

$ emacs --multibyte

> PS:
> > X toolkit, Motif, and gtk widgets enable you to display multibytes
> > characters on your screen under X window system. I think, if you have some
> > interests in i18n, read ORA X series volume 4. Probably, you can find some
> > examples about internationalization(i18n) under X.
> What is ORA X seris ?

X Toolkit Intrinsics Programming Manual and X toolkit Intrinsics Reference
Manual, Volume 5, O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.

Chu-yeon
--
Chu-yeon Park <kokids@doit.ajou.ac.kr> : We are KOrean KIDS, kokids!
              <kokids@debian.org>      : I love Debian!