Re: Translations for new boot floppies

Enrique Zanardi writes:
 > > > There's a little problem I've been thinking about, but don't have an easy
 > > > solution yet. The root disk is already stuffed almost to capacity, so we
 > > > won't be able to put a few message catalogs for the different languages
 > > > we will support.
 > > >
 > > > One solution is building a root floppy for each language, but that would
 > > > be a waste of space in the CDs and mirror sites.
 > >
 > > I use only one xserver, but in CDROM and mirror there are xservers for
 > > all video card. Some boot floppies for specific language don't make
 > > waste of space.
 >
 > They do if we can find a better solution with a little effort. I guess a
 > significant amount of the xservers code is card-dependent. Only a few
 > KBs of the root disk, namely the message catalog, will be language-
 > dependent.

As the maintainer of kbd, I'm wondering which fonts you plan to
include on the floppies.  There will probably be significant space
saved if the fonts were stored away from the disks, together with the
messages files, and automatically selected depending on the chosen
language.

Just providing 16-point fonts should be good too, but maybe you
already discussed about that.

--
Yann Dirson  <ydirson@a2points.com>      | Stop making M$-Bill richer & richer,
alt-email:     <dirson@univ-mlv.fr>      |     support Debian GNU/Linux: