consistent kbd config TODO list

  We have been discussing for some time about the consistent keyboard
config issue, and there have been a few proposals about what had to be
done.

  Some things are already implemented (like libreadline global
config file) and some are being implemented (like the new kbdconfig
style, with m4 macros) but we don't have yet a TODO list to see what's
missing and what's the current status of the project, so I will try
(with your help) to compile and mantain such a list, and post it
periodically here.

  Suggestions, additions and corrections are welcome (or should I say
"desperately needed"?) :-). Please, when replying to this post, change
the subject to the relevant Topic, to help keeping threads organized.

	Consistent keyboard configuration TODO list

- Topic: keymap definition for console mode
  already done. (Where can I find that implementation or the specification?
  I would like to test it for my spanish keyboard). The kbdconfig script
  should be modified to help the user setting up his keymap the new way.

- Topic: adapt console (non-X) application
    config files to read and display international charsets (default Latin1)
  Should be done for others (emacs, less, ...more candidates???)

- Topic: modify terminfo/termcap definitions
    to do the Right Thing

- Topic: keymap definition for X mode
  old one using Xmodmaps and new one using XKB. We should check the keymaps
  to see if they lack some needed feature. (I for one would like the XKB
  spanish keymap to generate accented vowels using META+vowel, see next
  topic).

- Topic: adapt X apps
    to read and display international charsets (default Latin1)
  (compose sequences, dead accents and such) leaving that work to the X
  clients. Unfortunately, only a few clients (xterm, xjed, gimp?) have been
  adapted to do that work, and it seems there's not much work going on to
  adapt others. There are a few solutions proposed out there, with pros and
  cons:
  1) Adapt X apps to use Input Methods. Of course that would be the best
  solution. The con is that it is a lot of work. But we are a lot of
  people here, aren't we? ;-)
  2) Define keys to provide the composed characters (no need for compose
  sequences). Simple, but doesn't provide all the characters needed, and
  makes it difficult for the user to find which key gives which char.
  3) Use tquinot patches for the Xlibs, that modify the normal key event
  reading routines to handle compose sequences. It works like a charm for
  Latin1 charset (haven't tried it for others) but doesn't work with
  XKB extension.

--
Enrique Zanardi						   ezanardi@ull.es
Dpto. Fisica Fundamental y Experimental			Univ. de La Laguna