Re: problem with hurd image

On Sun, May 9, 2021 at 5:16 AM Samuel Thibault <sthibault@debian.org> wrote:

> Marcin Laszewski, le dim. 09 mai 2021 07:34:21 +0100, a ecrit:
> > Have you a etherner driver compiled in the kernel (mach) ?
>
> There is no need for that, netdde already has all the network drivers
> that you'll want. And yes it's automatically set up by the debian
> installer. The fact that /dev/eth0 has apparently disappeared (please
> tell us exactly what this means: does /dev/eth0 not show up with ls) is
> only a sign of a filesystem problem, not a network driver problem.

In the past, I experienced a hang at boot when bringing up the network
under Virtual Box. I used the default card provided by VB instead of
selecting a card for which Hurd had a driver.

After a dirty reboot (Machine -> Reset), I would lose /dev devices,
like /dev/urandom.

I assumed it was due to ext2 and lack of journaling. But I never did
track down the actual problem.

The fix (for me) was to reinstall Hurd using a network card for which
Hurd had a driver.

Jeff