hurd-i386 issues update (Was: Re: Bits from the Release Team - Freeze, removals and archs)

Dear wanna-build, DSA and Installer teams,

we are not sure about who complain{,ed} about what. Could you please
pick hurd-i386 issues you concern about below and integrate missing
ones if any, just to know what would still need to be improved, as
pointed out by Release team, "to make sure an appropriate list of
known issues is agreed upon by all involved, kept and updated and
eventually resolved, this cannot be driven by the release team." [0 -
<ARCH-MEET>].
FYI a full list of known issues is at [TODO].

[0]  https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2014/05/msg00000.html

Thanks for your time,

On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 12:35 AM, Samuel Thibault <sthibault@debian.org> wrote:
> Gabriele Giacone, le Wed 03 Sep 2014 12:48:44 +0200, a écrit :
>> - "uptodateness"
>>     weeks ago, it reached 98.35%, at the moment ~97.5%. I guess "on
>> par" would mean rarely below 98.5-99%.
>
> Probably. Worth noting is that 2/3 of our current out-of-date packages
> are due to the java break and libcanberra missing libtdb (NMU to get
> accepted on friday).
>
>> - state of the installer
>>     as far as I can see, installer does work. Were there any problems
>> anybody currently considering still to fix?
>
> I don't see what "does not work" refer to. This seems overly exagerated.
> Probably some situations don't work. Just like with Linux or kFreeBSD...
>
>> - not-existing acpi power support
>>     is Justus' implementation enough? System can now poweroff itself.
>
> I don't know what they want. Some other text mentions explicitly the
> serial hack to power of, which can obviously be frowned upon, but yes,
> we have poweroff now thanks to Justus' grubish work :)

Trying to clarify, I guess serial hack is what I proposed on
jenkins.d.n few months ago [J1, J2] and reverted few weeks ago, once
Justus' work reached archive.
[J1] http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/qa/jenkins.debian.net.git/commit/?id=2d5d1845957e807ed1bcdedd6c177e2120d02663
[J2] http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/qa/jenkins.debian.net.git/commit/?id=7c99c0e3a8a80fda6a898ed916c9cc2eccaf3b00
Unfortunately installation on jenkins.d.n machine is really slow and
hurd suffers that, it never managed to finish installation so far. BTW
never heard anyone complaining about installer getting stuck on faster
machines.

--
G..e