Re: out of date packages to be removed?

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 10:41:50AM +0100, Svante Signell wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-03-27 at 09:43 +0100, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > Svante Signell, le Wed 27 Mar 2013 09:17:50 +0100, a écrit :

> ..
> > > Until Wheezy is released these packages will not be patched to
> > > build on GNU/Hurd.
> >
> > So?
> >
> > We have always done so to avoid archive cluttering.  This is not new.
>
> I was referring to a debian maintainer adding a hurd-specific patch into
> sid->testing, that won't happen. These bug reports+patches are just
> rotting in the BTS until Wheezy is released. Am I missing something
> here?

After wheezy is released, those patches will hopefully be applied,
the packages built again and they return to the archive.

I don't think you're missing something, but I don't see what you're
getting at, either.

> > If somebody really wants a package, he can grab the source and patch.
> > That's *precisely* I asked for red flags on some particular package
> > that we'd *want* to keep because they are so useful: I've for instance
> > excluded emacs23, gdb, etc.
>
> Do you mean building a package for personal reasons then, not entering
> either the main archive or -ports? Regarding emacs23 it still does not
> build, and gdb builds with an already submitted patch (including a
> change of the gcc restricted code word MACH). Where is that package
> going to be hosted, until after Wheezy is released, in -ports? These
> excepted packages, don't they also clutter the archive?

Emacs23 was not on the list, or did I miss it?  The point that Samuel
asked is precisely so packages people hold dear won't be removed without
review.

If you have specific reservations about some of the packages in the
list, please speak up, but the general procedure is not going to get
changed, probably.

Michael