Re: out of date packages to be removed?

Svante Signell, le Wed 27 Mar 2013 09:17:50 +0100, a écrit :
> On Wed, 2013-03-27 at 01:51 +0100, Samuel Thibault wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Below is a list of packages which are out of date, which I consider
> > asking ftp-master to remove.  Packages with a couple of spaces before
> > are removals needed to turn the out of date packages leaves.
> >
> > Anybody see any red flag among these before I submit the removal
> > request?
>
> Why removing out-of-date packages,

Because they clutter the archive, and these were built against
debian-ports.

> many of them have patches submitted/pending upload to be attended to
> by the maintainers _after_ Wheezy.

But also _right after_ Wheezy we'll have to be able to enter testing if
we want to remain on the main archive. Archive cluttering doesn't help
at all.

And removing these package won't prevent them from reappearing once the
patches get uploaded.

> Until Wheezy is released these packages will not be patched to
> build on GNU/Hurd.

So?

We have always done so to avoid archive cluttering.  This is not new.
If somebody really wants a package, he can grab the source and patch.
That's *precisely* I asked for red flags on some particular package
that we'd *want* to keep because they are so useful: I've for instance
excluded emacs23, gdb, etc.

> Or is your plan to host these packages at debian-ports?

I don't plan to spend the time to do such thing myself: most of them are
just not buildable in the current state. The few of them which just need
a patch could be built. I just do *not* have any time to upload them,
since there are far more important priorities, like getting buildds
administrated by DSA, fixing bugs in libc, possibly fixing the https
issue in firefox, etc. etc. That's way more important that getting e.g.
rrdtool built...

Samuel