Re: Still more netdde problems

peter@kahn.nu, le Fri 29 Jun 2012 01:26:37 +0200, a écrit :
> I would need help adding printk to the source.

Well, simply put printks where that matters, i.e. the part of the netdde
source code concerning your card.

> I'm not sure if this is known or even a "bug".

It's not really known (things just work fine with qemu devices), and
most probably a bug, since things are just supposed to work (tm).

> Once the install finished i tried the following without result:
>
>    devprobe eth1
>    (and eth2, 3 and 4 which are the network devices listed in /dev)

That's expected. See my previous request on debian-hurd some time ago
about somebody finding time to make devprobe also look at /dev/eth*.
Nobody proposed a patch. So it's not working. No wonder.

> I got no output which points to that the hurd doesn't find/recognise my
> network cards.

Not the Hurd, but gnumach, only.

> Are the hurd network drivers even included anymore?

In gnumach, not any more. In netdde, yes, I'm using it currently.

> At present i have three network cards that used to work with the
> 120221 build.

It'd be good to debug why they don't work with netdde. All the test I
could do on my machines went just fine.

> In all cases i got the following error (same as Barry deFreese):
>
>     /hurd/pfinet: device_open on /dev/eth0: (os/device) no such device

That, however, does show that netdde didn't find the device.

> 04:01.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
> RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
>
> lspci -n output:
>
> 04:01.0 0200: 10ec:8139 (rev 10)

which should be supported by both 8139too and 8139cp. I guess something
goes wrong. Putting printks in both would probably help determine what.

> search device eth0
> there is device dummy0, base addr: 0
> after search_netdev: cannot find eth0

Which shows that it indeed received requests from pfinet, but didn't
have an eth0 card to give, i.e. the 8139* drivers didn't find it for
some reason. I have of course no idea why, and only printks & debunking
will find.

Samuel