Re: Partitioning for a Hurd install

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 01:20:08PM +0000, David Hiran Watson wrote:

> How should I partition for an install? I'm doing this using
> VirtualBox, but I have plenty of space. I have 4GB ram on host, which
> is Win7.
>
> So how much ram should I give the vm?

768 MiB (or something thereabouts) is the maximum gnumach can use.
Depending on what you want to do, you can probably get away pretty well
with less than that -- but as you have plenty of RAM in your machine, I
guess there is no point in being stingy :-)

> And how big a swap partition should I create?

Again, depends on what you want to do. if you want to be safe, a fairly
large swap partition (1-2 GiB I'd say) is probably well-advised.

> Also do I need to partition beforehand (ie, create an ext2 [ext3?]
> virtual disk, and a swap virtual disk), or just create a raw virtual
> disk and use the Hurd installer to partition?

Probably easier to do it with the installer.

> Lastly I have a 160GB internal IDE drive which is my C: drive (system
> drive) and a 1TB external USB drive which is my data drive (D:).
> Should I use C or D to store the vm?

That's up to you...

> What about the virtual disks?

The VM needs to emulate an IDE disk for Mach to work... But I'm not sure
whether that's what you are asking about :-)

-antrik-