Getting started with Debian hurd/i386

Guillem Jover wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-02-04 at 22:28:05 -0600, Jonathan Nieder wrote:

>> 	fsck from util-linux-ng 2.16.2
>> 	hd2: irq timeout: status=0x50
>> 	hd2: irq timeout: status=0x50
>> 	hd2: irq timeout: status=0x50
>> 	hd2: unexpected_intr: status=0x58
>
> That seems to show up with kvm from experimental, try passing to it
> “-no-kvm-irqchip”.

Thanks!  Works like a charm.

Jonathan

More notes for those following along:

 - In the installer, I did not give root a password; that was a bad choice,
   since I could not log in as root and the installer doesn't seem to have
   set up a non-root user.  Booting in single-user mode with -s allows
   one to set a password for root.

 - "reboot" and ctrl-alt-delete did not work to reboot as a
   nonprivileged user.  So I ran "sync" and then pressed the reset
   button, with the unfortunate effect that on next boot e2fsck had a
   lot of complaints.  No matter; pressing 'y' repeatedly on the next
   fsck run seems to put us back in an okay state.

 - although networking is not set up automatically, following the
   instructions at [1] works nicely.

[1] http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/users-guide/using_gnuhurd.html#Networking