Re: initrd support?

Hi,

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 11:06:05AM +0100, Samuel Thibault wrote:

> I'm having a look at things that we're still missing for the Debian
> installer.
[...]
> At least one thing that we don't have is initrd support.  Is there
> anybody who has already thought/done anything for that?

Is it feasible to modify the installer not to require an initrd?...

It's rather pointless, as long as all drivers are compiled into the
kernel. And in fact, even when we have a proper userspace driver
framework, I'd still prefer not to use initrd -- see

   http://tri-ceps.blogspot.com/2008/03/case-against-initrd.html

> Through the multiboot standard, it can not but be a multiboot module,
> but then how to give it to ext2fs.static?

You mean you want to stuff the initrd contents into a normal ext2
filesystem, and pass it as a store to the root filesystem server?

I'm not sure any of the existing store types can handle something like
that... You might need to come up with a new store type for this.

> Or maybe use serverboot?

Wasn't the whole point of creating GRUB, to make serverboot obsolete?...
:-)

-antrik-